Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Training supplements for the New Year

Some of you have asked about protein powder supplements, and since you may be traveling someplace where you can get this stuff cheaper than here in Delhi, here's what we recommend.... 

(1)  We use daily a cheap whey protein powder that we buy at Wal-Mart for about $15 per 2 pounds.  It comes in lots of flavors, but I like plain ol' vanilla best.  Look for leucine, an essential amino acid that helps with muscle recovery/repair and growth.  Avoid anything soy-based.  Remember, you're aiming for at least .8 g/pound of bodyweight of protein per day.

(2)  I also strongly recommend taking fish oil.  There are too many benefits for me to explain!  (I take about 3.5 grams daily to get my omega-3 fatty acids.)

(3)  Optional:  Once your protein and omega-3 fats are dialed in, the next step in supplementation, in my opinion, is creatine monohydrate, not only for its athletic benefits, but for all the other health benefits as well (for your brain and metabolism).  I've been taking 5mg of pure creatine monohydrate ($30 from GNC) daily for the past semester, and it's had a remarkable effect on my ability to recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment