Friday, November 16, 2012

The Mechanics of Hang Power Cleans

This morning I worked on my hang power cleans and I discussed with Michelle my concern about  proper mechanics. The clean is a complex movement that requires (like everything else we do here) proper set up and efficient execution. The clean goes so quickly that I am not sure if I am truly getting the hip extension before getting under the weight.  It's one thing to practice without weight and to break up to movements, such as starting in the dead lift position (weight in the heels, feet shoulder-width apart, bent knees, butt out, shoulders forward and in front of the bar, arms straight, head neutral and looking forward), getting a full hip extension, getting under the bar and keeping it close (zip it up), jumping feet out a little wider, and catching.  I find that when I add the weight, all of those elements go so fast.  So, I found three pictures from Minneapolis Crossfit, the place where I worked out last summer.  I thought I'd share the pictures.

Set up:


















Hip extension:


Getting under the bar and catching:


Of course, this would have been better if the three pictures came from the same person.  Michelle posted a picture of an Olympic lifter in the three key positions of a hang in August.  You can refer back to that post, if interested.

http://facultyathlete.blogspot.in/2012/08/how-to-hang-clean-only-3-things-you.html

Thoughts?
--Skye

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Skye!

    The clean *is* a fast, complicated movement, for sure. So, two things:

    (1) It takes hours of practice. I'm not sure if it'll take 10,000 hours (as Malcolm Gladwell asserts is necessary to become truly talented at anything), but it will take a lot of reps for sure!

    (2) It's good to practice with less than your max weight to work exclusively on form. In the first picture, that woman looks like she can easily handle a much heavier load, but she (and the guy behind her, too) are using just the PVC pipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a trick/drill to ensure you get full hip extension:

    Have someone (standing behind you, off to the side) hold a PVC level with the top of your head when you're standing at full extension. Then, you clean the bar as usual, but your goal is for your head to hit the pipe at the top of your pull.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. We can try this on Wednesday when I go back to cleans. From the readings yesterday, it pays to be boring and consistent, rather than lazy. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete